Tuesday 15 March 2011

ABC Wednesday - Ingle

 Ribblesdale
Today I'm taking you to the Yorkshire Dales on the road that crosses the Pennines, the dividing point of east and west in the north of England. A popular run out for bikers, who lean into a incline position to go round the bends. In the background is the Ribblesdale Viaduct which carries goods and passenger trains from Settle to Carlisle.
So as the train crosses the valley, rising in the background is the 2372 bulk of Ingleborough. On its flat summit is the remains of an iron age fort. An ideal place to see all the surrounding countryside.  At the foot of Ingleborough lies 

 the village of Ingleton. a popular tourist destination and walking base. The church on the hill is St Mary's whose oldest artefact is a 800 year old Norman font, found in the river just over a century ago. I wonder which part
 of the River Greta it was hidden.  The Ingleton Viaduct spans the Greta Gorge with its 11 arches. It was completed in 1859 and the village had two railway stations because there were two competing railway companies. However the line is now disused and unlike the other historic viaducts of the area it is not accessible so I content myself with taking pictures from the ground.
The traditional Dales cottages huddle near its arches.
in the hollow of the valley, on this side a farm and caravan park. No trains to watch except in
past photographs. Date unknown, but the locomotive pulling the passenger carriages looks very old.

ABC Wednesday has illimitable words starting with the letter L

16 comments:

jabblog said...

You illuminate again with a fantastic post. Goodness, what splendid scenery you enjoy:-)

Carver said...

What a beautiful place to explore. Interesting information and wonderful shots.

Gigi Ann said...

So many beautiful things to see and learn today. What a nice choice for "I" day today. Thanks for sharing a little corner of your world with us today.

Hildred said...

Beautiful photos, - I have been to Yorkshire for Squadron Reunions and loved the country. Railways here are also not what they once were, although we do have touristy runs of an old steam locomotive nearby in Summerland, complete with a train robbery!

Roger Owen Green said...

lovely incline. it's all beautiful.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

awesome i words to know,
lovely shots.
cheers.

Tumblewords: said...

Spectacular scenery! What a pleasure to see sights via your discerning lens!

J.Rylie.C said...

So pretty and Interesting!


Please come and see my ABC Wednesday post, thanks!

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

Thanks for the wonderful trip! All photos are truly amazing! I love it!

Thanks for visiting my ABC Wednesday

Sue said...

This is my first ABC Wednesday, and I've loved visiting you. It certainly looks like a welcoming walking base. Great viaduct!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Wow! I can always count on you to provide breathtaking scenery along with a great geography lesson of places that are so compelling. Those viaducts are 'to die for'!

EG CameraGirl said...

I very much like the old-timey feel of your photos. If there were no train, cars and motor bikes, I could imagine myself in a time machine.

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

Oh how bucolic! And I love the old photo juxtaposed with the new (keep in mind for "J")

Thanks,
Meryl
http://departingthetext.blogspot.com

Wanda said...

What a beautiful and interesting post. I feel like I've just been on a tour. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. I like those of the viaduct.

Anonymous said...

Ingleton looks like a lovely little town. Beautiful countryside. Thanks for the tour.