Tuesday 6 March 2012

ABC Wednesday - Holiday

 Fancy a stay in a holiday cottage in the Lake District?  Here is one at Skelwith Bridge complete with bird feeder.  Enjoying walking holidays I have stayed in numerous holiday cottage at home and abroad and always enjoy their variety and more often than not their quirkiness.  I only picked up on the holiday cottage notice after I took the photo because it was the architectural detail of the
 chimneys that peaked my interest.  That it was a warm summer's day can be seen from the windows being open. If  hotel accommodation is the preference a walk around the corner to the

 Skelwith Bridge Hotel with happily for this ABC post a hydrangea, I think most gardens in this country have a variety of these easy going plants somewhere and they were very popular where we were on holiday last year in France, even appearing painted on a
mail box.  In France they call the plant by a more romantic name, Hortensia, a girls name that has fallen out of use in Britain since Victorian times, the names given meaning is 'garden'.  Although the next photo I took in Skelwith Bridge didn't have a garden in sight just woods and hills, I was still looking at chimneys
On summer days a popular place for visitors and holiday makers to sit are the flat rocks by the riverbank  at the place that gives the hamlet its name
Skelwith Bridge.

An entry to ABC Wednesday Round 10, a journey through the alphabet


9 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

We in the States have a DIFFERENT sense of a cottage (smaller) and HOLIDAY (not vacation). Interesting, and nice shots.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Jane and Chris said...

What a beautiful area...and now I'm smitten with the name Hortensia!
Jane x

Meryl said...

Oh how lovely...I wish I were there.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

So very, very picturesque!!! Like a fairy tale.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Didn't know that hortensia and hydrangea are the same. What you learn while blogging! The country walks in the Lake District look so inviting.

EG CameraGirl said...

I would very much enjoy a holiday there.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I learned two things today from your post. Love the photos.

House in the Prairie
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Anonymous said...

Oh that looks so inviting and charming. Thanks for the glimpse!

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

I'll take the cottage thank you! (I wish I could!)