Tuesday 7 March 2017

Ing, Inn and In

A late summer's day on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal with a narrow boat leaving St Ann's Ing Lock, which has the smallest rise on the canal of 4 foot and six inches so it must be one of the quickest locks to get through. Ing or ings means a meadow near a watercourse, the unsaid is that it is probably a very wet meadow.  This one is between canal and river.  I wondered about the St Ann connection but could find nothing but I know there many sacred spring wells named after her throughout the country. Perhaps she is associated with freshwater.
If you wanted more than freshwater then The Boathouse Inn might be just the place to imbibe something else.  I mentioned the nearby river.  What might be found there?
Well surprisingly a cat in a bath.  This is one of the sculptures on the River Aire Sculpture Trail.

An entry to ABC Wednesday, a journey through the alphabet, this week sojourning at I here
 

   

10 comments:

Photo Cache said...

Love the kitty cat in the bath.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

photowannabe said...

Love the cat in the bath and the first photos make me want to go on vacation.

Hildred said...

All that lock info and then you post that delightful picture of the cat in a bath,and who can help but comment on that....

Roger Owen Green said...

cat in a bath is a hit!
ROG, ABCW

Photo(Geo)grapher said...

What a lovely place. I'd like to go there someday!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

watched on TV some houseboats. I don't think I will stay in one for a long time.

MelodyK said...

Once upon a time hubbie and me wanted to live in such a boat, we've choosen otherwise though

Lovely photo's


Have a nice ABC-day / -week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/20-i/

Leslie: said...

I love that picture of the cat in the bath! And I've always wanted to float down a canal and go through a lock. One day, Joy! *smile*

Leslie
abcw team

carol l mckenna said...

What a delightful place and great photos for I ~ love the cat ~

Wishing you a lovely week ~ ^_^

Gattina said...

I wished I could be on the boat and go down the river ! The cat is just missing in my garden !